As I’m now the proud owner of a book blog, I thought it would be a good idea to collate a bunch of reasons why I love reading so much and what it means to me!
So without further ado, here goes…
- It’s pure escapism – through books you are able to travel through time, explore the ends of the world and live as someone else for a while. Let’s be real, life is no easy feat so everyone needs something to help them keep the faith.
2. It keeps your mind healthy and active – reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
3. It reduces stress – for me, reading goes hand in hand with a huge cup of tea and a warm blanket. The perfect stress buster!
4. It’s the perfect opportunity to learn without feeling like you’re stuck in a classroom – you can learn about history, the struggles and lives of real people. You start to form a connection with the author as you delve into their mind and imagination.
5. It keeps your senses alive – the smell of the books; if I could bottle that scent up and surround myself with it all day, then I definitely would! The feel of the paper between my fingers as I turn the pages. The sound the pages make as they rustle in the wind when I’m reading outside on a summer’s evening.
6. I’m assuming it has to be better for you, mentally, than sitting in front of a tv – that’s not to say that I don’t love a lazy day in front of the tv, but just reading the words and allowing my own mind and imagination to picture the scenes is so much more rewarding than sitting on the sofa and letting the film director do all the work…
7. It improves your vocabulary and your memory – and that can only be a good thing, right?
8. It opens your mind – you get to experience different perspectives. You may even end up empathising with a character you didn’t expect to! This can be uncomfortable but it’s definitely a useful skill for life.
9. It’s fun – I always take a book with me wherever I go in case I get a spare five minutes whilst waiting for the always-delayed public transport in London or if I decide to stop off for a coffee. It’s a more productive use of your time (for all the reasons mentioned above) than scrolling through your phone…
10. You can get lost in a book – you can have your own adventures and it feels like home when you return to your favourite book series or characters you love.
So there we have it, my ten reasons why I love reading so much! Feel free to share your own reasons why you love reading; I’d love to read them!
p.s. I’m going away tomorrow until the 13th September, so blog posts will return to normal after I get back. Have a great week!